And that there is NO LOGICAL reason for Russia to have destroyed their own pipeline- That admission is in the very last paragraph of the NYT’s article.
That very important admission is made dead last because almost no one will read through the entire article to get to that nugget of truth!
That’s been obvious from the get go!
And on to the rest
- -New intelligence reviewed by U.S. officials suggests that a pro-Ukrainian group carried out the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines last year
The US is a Pro-Ukraine Group. In fact it’s the biggest “pro Ukraine” group to my mind. The US leadership is certainly more pro Ukraine than the Ukrainian leadership.
- –U.S. officials said that they had no evidence President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine or his top lieutenants were involved in the operation, or that the perpetrators were acting at the direction of any Ukrainian government officials.
- Ukraine and its allies have been seen by some officials as having the most logical potential motive to attack the pipelines. They have opposed the project for years, calling it a national security threat because it would allow Russia to sell gas more easily to Europe.
- The review of newly collected intelligence suggests they were opponents of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but does not specify the members of the group, or who directed or paid for the operation.
Opponents of President Putin- So the US, then?
- -They have said that there are no firm conclusions about it, leaving open the possibility that the operation might have been conducted off the books by a proxy force with connections to the Ukrainian government or its security services.
So an off the book operation by the US?
- “Officials who have reviewed the intelligence said they believed the saboteurs were most likely Ukrainian or Russian nationals, or some combination of the two. U.S. officials said no American or British nationals were involved.”
That’s hilarious. So the US is going to frame and blame disgruntled citizens for the pipeline sabotage. Rich! No way in heck is this some random terror attack undertaken by unhappy nationals. It’s absurd to the nth degree when one understands, as is acknowledged, the sophistication of the operations points to a state actor
- -European officials have publicly said they believe the operation that targeted Nord Stream was
probably state sponsored, possibly because of the sophistication with which the perpetrators planted and detonated the explosives on the floor of the Baltic Sea without being detected.
State sponsored. Sophisticated. But hey, disgruntled nationalists!
- Any suggestion of Ukrainian involvement, whether direct or indirect, could upset the delicate relationship between Ukraine and Germany, souring support among a German public that has swallowed high energy prices in the name of solidarity.
The German public hasn’t swallowed high energy prices in solidarity with Ukraine quite as much as the media would like you and I to believe.
- The US has limited insight into Ukrainian decision making?
Despite their dependence on everything American?
- Any findings that put blame on Kyiv or Ukrainian proxies could prompt a backlash in Europe and make it harder for the West to maintain a united front in support of Ukraine.
- U.S. officials and intelligence agencies acknowledge that they have limited visibility into Ukrainian decision-making.
- Despite Ukraine’s deep dependence on the United States for military, intelligence and diplomatic support, Ukrainian officials are not always transparent with their American counterparts about their military operations, especially those against Russian targets behind enemy lines.
Last month the Sy Hersh piece was published